Supreme Court candidates to face off in politically charged Tuesday election

Justice Pat Roggensack will defend her seat Tuesday against Marquette University law professor Ed Fallone in an attempt to earn a second 10-year term on the Wisconsin Supreme Court.

Throughout the campaign, Fallone has been critical of what he considers a highly dysfunctional court, pointing to a June 2011 incident in which Justice David Prosser placed his hands around the neck of a fellow justice during an argument over a case. Fallone has also said he believes he can bring a truly independent voice, free of political bias, to the bench.

However, Roggensack has brushed off Fallone’s criticism, arguing the election should be about her own performance as a justice, not the court as a whole. She has also stressed her experience as a judge, which Fallone does not have, and pledged to continue deciding cases in a fair and neutral manner.

Roggensack enters Election Day as the favorite after earning 64 percent of the vote in a Feb. 19 primary to Fallone’s 30 percent. Roggensack has also maintained a steady financial advantage over her challenger, raising more than $536,000 for her re-election bid while Fallone has brought in around $320,000.

While the election is officially nonpartisan, Roggensack has enjoyed the support of groups and donors that traditionally align with Republicans, while Democratic-leaning organizations have backed Fallone.

Last week, the Government Accountability Board projected statewide turnout for the election will be approximately 20 percent, which is the average for a spring election.