Mifflin

The Mifflin Street Block Party, which was heavily policed last year, will see a slight change in how the event is regulated this year.

MPD to employ new Mifflin policing plan

The Madison Police Department said at a neighborhood meeting Thursday it will implement new no-tolerance law enforcement policies for the Mifflin Street Block Party in its effort to regulate the block party.

MPD will employ approximately 300 officers across the entire downtown area under a no-tolerance policy that includes enforcement of house parties, illegal alcohol consumption and trespassing, according to MPD Sergeant Kelly Donahue.

Contrary to last year’s Mifflin Street Block Party, MPD is discouraging house parties by eliminating the pledge program, which allowed residents who signed a pledge of cooperation to call MPD to break up an out-of-control party without incurring citations, according to Donahue.

Donahue said although police are discontinuing the pledge program, MPD will always assist people who call for help.

Police cannot shut down legal house parties, which include residents of legal drinking age who serve other residents over 21 on their private property.

However, if there is any illegal activity, the officers will take appropriate action, according to Donahue.

“We’re really trying to make sure we are not sending mixed messages,” Donahue said.

If cited for an illegal activity such as providing alcohol to underage students, carrying open intoxicants on public streets or playing loud music without a permit, a letter will be sent to the University of Wisconsin Madison’s Dean of Students office and students could face possible eviction from the household’s landlord, according to MPD guidelines.

Similar to last year, MPD will also communicate law enforcement policies and give safety brochures to students as well as encourage landlords to place “no trespassing” signs on their property, according to MPD Sergeant Scott Kleinfeldt.

The campus event Revelry is scheduled for the same day as the block party, but the University of Wisconsin-Madison Police Department will monitor the event instead of MPD.