Sunday, June 02, 2024

Bassett area residents hear policing strategies for Mifflin, Revelry events

A Madison police sergeant shared the department’s policing strategy for the Mifflin Street Block Party at a Bassett Street neighborhood meeting Monday.

MPD Sgt. Kelly Donahue said officers will patrol the downtown area, specifically covering Breese Terrace, College Court and Fahrenbrook Court areas in addition to Mifflin and Langdon Streets.

Donahue said MPD expects more activity in these areas because they are closer to the Revelry musical festival, which will happen the same day.

According to Donahue, MPD is approaching the situation differently this year, and it is trying to discourage any event on Mifflin Street.

Last year, Mifflin residents had the option to sign contracts with MPD under which MPD would not fine residents for throwing illegal house parties if they complied with MPD requests, but Donahue said MPD will not engage in such contracts this year.

“This year is more of a no tolerance for illegal house parties,” Donahue said.

Also at the meeting, Wingra Boats owner Tyler Leeper said he wants to move forward with plans to launch a boat-rental service, called Brittingham Boats, and open a cafe in the Brittingham Park beach house, located near the Bassett neighborhood boundary.

Leeper said Brittingham Boats would rent canoes, kayaks, paddleboards, paddleboats and possibly pontoon boats to the public. According to Leeper, it also plans to provide programming, including stand-up paddleboard lessons, stand-up paddleboard yoga and early-morning yoga.

The renovated beach house would also feature a new cafe, which would play acoustic music and serve coffee as well as specialty grilled cheese sandwiches.

Stephan Reinke, the boat house renovation project manager, said they are hoping to embody aspects of the “Madison lifestyle,” including outdoor enrichment, community and conversation.

Leeper said the beach house would be a great place for University of Wisconsin-Madison students to meet up with friends, relax and have good conversations.

“It’s very different, but it kind of mirrors the other side of campus, providing a different style of relaxed and on-the-water life,” Leeper said.