David Zimmerman

Athletic Board member and professor David Zimmerman says Friday he supports the new drug testing policy recommendations for student-athletes.

Athletic Board supports new drug testing policy

The University of Wisconsin-Madison Athletic Board unanimously endorsed an update to the drug testing policy that oversees student-athletes Friday, aiming to emphasize therapy before punishment and offer student-athletes additional protections from unwarranted testing.

Norman Fost, athletic board member and professor in the School of Medicine and Public Health and a major contributor to the new policy, called the changes a major rewrite of the current policy, and a unique example of a board-initiated activity.

“This is very gratifying, this is literally four years in the making,” Fost said.

He said he felt the changes to the policy were necessary to help counsel student-athletes who may be abusing substances before punishing them.

Additionally, the policy increases protections surrounding testing based on reasonable suspicion. The new policy requires coaches to consult a team physician in deciding whether a random test is warranted. Fost said the change is meant to be a procedural protection from unilateral discretion on the part of coaching staff.

The new document also adds alcohol as a substance governed under the policy, encouraging student-athletes to drink alcohol responsibly and legally.

The drug testing program is a departmental policy and under the discretion of the athletic department so the board’s vote is only a recommendation. However, board member Barb Simmons said she feels it’s important for the board to have a hand in policy changes.

Athletic Board member and professor of engineering David Zimmerman called the policy change a “courageous and remarkable accomplishment.”

Also at the meeting, Deputy Athletic Director Sean Frazier updated board members about ongoing efforts within the department to increase fan engagement.

According to Athletic Board Chair Dale Bjorling, college athletics has experienced a decrease in attendance in basketball and hockey.

Bjorling said it is an issue other universities and national sports organizations have also had to address as technology improvements keep fans at home to watch events.

“I think the athletic department is trying its very best to make the fan feel that whether it’s the band that they come for or the football game, they enjoy the day,” Bjorling. “I think it will be an ongoing discussion.”