Column: Ole Miss' Henderson's antics overshadow exciting opening round

As many college basketball fanatics expected, the opening weekend of the NCAA Tournament was indeed filled with “madness.” While it was highlighted by the unexpected Sweet 16 berths of many double-digit seeds like Florida Gulf Coast University, Oregon and LaSalle, the pageantry, excitement and passion of the games was somewhat negated in nature by the bone-headed comments and overall arrogance of Ole Miss guard Marshall Henderson.

Henderson burst onto the national scene mid-season, as the once-irrelevant Ole Miss basketball program rose to the top 25 ranks and found themselves in the thick of the SEC conference race. His lengthy frame coupled with a shoot-first approach grabbed the attention of viewers across the country. However, when Ole Miss fizzled down the stretch of the regular season, Henderson's notoriety took a dip as well; but, when Ole Miss completed their run to SEC tournament champions, Henderson was back into the national spotlight, both for the right and wrong reasons.

Sure, his gaudy statistics of 23.7 points points per game and a field goal percentage of 43% during the SEC tournament were impressive but despite his impressive performances when it mattered most, his taunting tactics drew my sharp attention.

It started in the conference championship game against Florida with Henderson displaying an array of taunting mechanisms in his arsenal. He began by giving the infamous “three goggles” then proceeded to display his staple “landshark” move. To top it all off, he mocked the Florida seating section with his version of the Gator Chomp.

"I am a manipulator of sorts and I like messing with people's minds," Henderson said, according to USA Today.

While he was rather quiet in terms of arrogance against Wisconsin in Friday's first round matchup, he did not shy away from derailing them. “Their defense wasn’t what everyone said their defense was,” Henderson said after Friday's victory. “I just missed shots.” If that statement angered you as much as it did me, it gets worse.

After a last-second defeat against LaSalle Sunday, Henderson's frustration reached an ultimate low when he flipped off fans when he was entering the tunnel at the conclusion of the game. “Someone yelled that my sister is a w---- and said something about cocaine,” he told reporters after the game. For those wondering about the mention of cocaine, according to a report from USA Today, Henderson spent 25 days in jail last spring due to a positive drug test that violated his probation, which included marijuana and cocaine.

While I do not condone those actions by whoever did this by any stretch of an imagination, he needs to understand his role—the possible next face of college basketball—and the responsibilities that come with the territory.

I understand student-athletes of all sports are simply kids, trying to make the most out of their college experience. However, Henderson is not just your ordinary student-athlete. His every move is being watch closely and critiqued even closer. Is that a potential problem within the world of college sports? You could say so but it's the harsh reality we have come to know. Moreover, due to his increased fame, his various antics have consequences, which include being chastised by the sports media, like myself.

CBSSports.com national columnist Greg Doyel reported Tuesday fans should expect Henderson to return to Ole Miss for his senior year. While his on-the-court talents should be a thrill to watch for fans next year, one can only hope he cleans up his childish antics, both on and off the court. It is in his best interest and the sport's interest as a whole to do so.