UW student wins contest to travel with New York Times journalist Nick Kristof

Renowned New York Times journalist Nick Kristof selected a University of Wisconsin-Madison graduate Thursday to join him overseas on a journalism tour as part of his eighth annual “Win a Trip with Nick Kristof Contest.”

Kristof selected Erin Luhmann from a pool of more than 700 applicants to accompany him overseas to raise attention to global poverty and development issues, which Kristof describes in his New York Times blog as a topic that “tends to get neglected.”

Luhmann said in a statement to the university she aspires to “work with journalists overseas, going into countries where reporters are asking for assistance and finding ways to support them."

Although a clear date or destination is not confirmed yet, both Kristof and Luhmann express excitement for the trip, which will take place in late summer or early fall and last for at least ten days, according to a statement released by the university.

Luhmann spent two years volunteering as an English teacher for the Peace Corps in Kyrgyzstan before coming to UW-Madison for her master’s degree, which she plans to receive in May.