02052013mining

The Daily Cardinal

Republicans present mining amendments

Republican sponsors of the proposed mining bill announced at a press conference Monday amendments designed to increase environmental protections in the legislation.

Environmental concerns have been at odds with economic priorities throughout consideration of the bill, which streamlines the process for obtaining a mining permit in Wisconsin.

In addition to technical changes to the bill and heightening other environmental standards, the amendments prohibit exemptions from the mining law’s environmental protections if the exemption would significantly harm the environment outside of the mining site.

Another amendment clarifies a permit-seeking company will pay for wetlands assessments if necessary for their permit.

According to mining bill sponsor and Assembly Majority Leader Scott Suder, R-Abbotsford, the amendments incorporate ideas from many individuals, including Democrats.

“Not only do we have good bipartisan amendments, we also strengthen environmental protection even further,” Suder said.

Under the proposed amendments, the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources must also take into consideration a mine’s impact on archaeological sites and water quality near mining waste sites for a number of years increased from the original proposal.

State Sen. Tom Tiffany, R-Hazelhurst, said retaining the state’s high environmental standards as well as certainty for business owners looking for an answer on their permits are both priorities in the bill.

“We’re very proud of our environmental heritage in this state,” Tiffany said. “But also that there be certainty for an applicant that they’re going to get an answer.”

However, state Sen. Bob Jauch, D-Poplar, said in a statement even with the amendments, the mining bill is “deeply flawed” and continues to give “too much power over the process to the mining company.”

“It still contains provisions that weaken environmental protections and it still shortchanges Wisconsin taxpayers,” Jauch said.

Also Monday, the Bad River Band of Lake Superior sent Tiffany, one of the bill’s co-authors, a letter criticizing the bill’s process.

According to a press release from Bad River Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Chairman Mike Wiggins Jr., the legislature has not adequately involved Native American citizens, “who stand to suffer the most from weaker environmental laws.”

Wiggins said although legislators have met with “more affluent, non-tribal” groups in northern Wisconsin, they have not met with Native American communities.

“We cannot exchange clean water and our democratic process for legislators’ weak promise of jobs,” he said.