Poll: Wisconsin citizens oppose mining bill

A poll released Wednesday showed a large majority of state citizens oppose the loosened mining restrictions that would occur if the Republican-backed mining bill, passes.

The report, produced by Public Policy Polling, showed a wide margin oppose the bill, with 62 percent voting opposing the bill and only 29 percent supporting it. The bill was also unpopular with Independents as the poll showed 69 percent oppose the legislation and 25 percent support it.

The bill, which is scheduled for a Joint Finance Committee vote Monday, is designed to ease the state permitting process for mining companies and has been heavily criticized for its loosening of environmental standards. Republicans support the bill as a way to boost the state’s damaged northern economy, but Democrats say a mine resulting from the legislation would heavily pollute an important area of the state.

Opponents have specifically criticized a portion of the bill that would weaken wetland protections and allow mining companies to fill in existing wetlands. The poll found Wisconsin citizens overall oppose loosening the wetland laws, with 67 percent of respondents against changing existing laws and 24 percent supporting the change.

Additionally, the survey found 77 percent of respondents were at least “somewhat concerned” with Gogebic Taconite, the company most likely to open a mine in northern Wisconsin, being allowed to help develop the bill. GTAC’s help drafting the bill sparked questions and criticism over allowing a company to have direct input on legislation.

Republican legislators said they hope to see a full legislature vote on the bill in the coming weeks.