ASM Spring semester

The Associated Students of Madison Student Council will hold its first meeting of the spring semester Jan. 30 in the Student Activity Center.

ASM prepares for spring campaigns

Associated Students of Madison representatives were able to find compromise and make progress on multiple issues this fall, something the organization hopes will continue into the spring as it lobbies for increased support for the university in the next state budget, according to ASM Press Office Director David Gardner.

“We’ve been called the ‘respectful’ ASM this session and I think it’s because we’ve really tried to find compromise,” Gardner said. “Representatives have put the interests of students over their own.”

Gardner pointed to the quick passage of the ASM internal budget and creation of the new grassroots Sustainability Committee, which seeks to facilitate a unified student front on improving environmental sustainability, as examples of compromise this fall.

“There were times when we disagreed with each other,” Gardner said. “However I think people were very much in the spirit of compromise and we saw a lot of compromise.”

The Sustainability Committee, approved by Student Council in November, will begin its work this spring in what Gardner called a “learning semester.” The committee will work to create official bylaws and structure, as well as spearheading its own campaigns.

In a preliminary committee meeting last fall, members discussed campaign options including a plastic water bottle ban and efforts to increase awareness of recycling and composting on campus.

According to Gardner, much of ASM’s focus this spring will be on lobbying Gov. Scott Walker and other state legislators as the next state budget is prepared. Students from the ASM Legislative Affairs Committee have already presented student budget priorities, which include capping tuition and restoring state financial support for higher education.

Gardner said these efforts are especially important following the large cuts given to the University of Wisconsin System in the previous state budget.

“We want to make sure that this year we’re speaking out before action is taken so the governor and legislature know that we’re 42,000 strong and we value quality, affordable education on campus,” Gardner said.

ASM will also be a resource for student input on the chancellor search and drafting of a new campus Diversity Plan, according to Gardner, both of which will be completed in the spring semester.

Additionally, Gardner said ASM will work on its Campus Safety and Mental Health Campaigns by continuing to build relationships with other groups, including city officials and University Health Services.