Steven Nemcek

An imaginary conversation with a gun control advocate

“Steven, no one needs an AR-15 semi-automatic assault rifle in their everyday lives. No one needs a 30 round magazine. That gun was used in the Aurora theater massacre, and Adam Lanza brought that gun to the scene of the crime at Sandy Hook. Hunters and collectors don’t need that kind of firepower. That gun is overkill for self-defense purposes,” my leftist friend said.

“Since when have rights been predicated by necessity? The only things humans need to survive are food, water and shelter. Just because we don’t need many things to survive, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t have the right to them. We don’t need a free press or free speech to survive. We don’t need cars or computers or televisions. However, no one would argue that we don’t have a right to these things. That said, I can cite at least one example where these guns served very legitimate self-defense purposes. In 1992 during the Rodney King riots in Los Angeles, many Korean store owners rushed to Koreatown to defend their property over the-six day period of looting and vandalism that ensued. They armed themselves with shotguns, semi-automatic weapons and defended themselves until the police and National Guard finally put an end to the turmoil. Those riots caused an estimated $1 billion in damages. The store owners tried contacting the police, but no one responded. When situations like this erupt, are we not entitled to defend ourselves? The Constitution says ‘A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.’” I responded.

“The intent of the Constitution was to allow states to have militias. The right to bear arms wasn’t meant to apply to individual citizens. Besides, when the Constitution was written, they only had access to muskets. The founders couldn’t have dreamed of the firepower modern guns would have. We need to apply the Constitution to the needs of our country today,” he replied, testily.

“Well, technically they had cannons and rifles when the Second Amendment was written, not only muskets. Also, the term “arms” at the time referred to artillery and private warships. This was made clear in Elliot’s Debates, in which the necessity of a militia to dispel invading smugglers by the sea was discussed in terms of the Second Amendment. I actually think the text is pretty clear. The right of the people to bear arms shouldn’t be infringed. Period. Sure technologies are different now, but that doesn’t mean the Constitution still isn’t applicable. Everyone now accepts that the First Amendment grants us the right to free speech across the Internet, even though the predominant technology at the time was the printing press. Also, the Supreme Court ruled in District of Columbia v. Heller that the Second Amendment applies to individuals, independent of state militias. The Supreme Court also ruled in 2010 in McDonald v. Chicago that the Second Amendment was incorporated and applied to states. If you think the Constitution should be amended, fine. Make that argument. There is a mechanism by which this can happen. However, you’ll need a decent amount of support. If you don’t have this support, doesn’t that imply that maybe not everyone agrees with you?” I said, trying to remain calm.

“You’re entirely heartless. You don’t care about the dead children at Sandy Hook. Those were people’s young sons and daughters. Their lives ended tragically and you want to do what, exactly? Do you want to post armed guards in schools like the NRA suggested? Do you seriously want to do nothing?” he said, beginning to shout.

“Of course I care about those children. I have five younger siblings that are all in public school, and events like this make me worry for their safety. No, I don’t think we should post armed guards at our schools. This isn’t a warzone like in parts of Israel. I do believe that teachers should be able to carry their weapons in a concealed fashion if they have the proper permits, however. Every state except for Illinois currently has concealed carry laws, and I don’t see why teachers shouldn’t be allowed to act on those laws, if they so desire.”

“So, what’s your solution then?”

“I don’t have one.”

“So you want to do nothing?” he laughed, harshly.

“There is nothing to be done. Evil will always exist in this world. Statistically this is one of the safest times to be alive in human history. Gun crimes, especially rifle crimes, are statistically far less prevalent than other types of violent crimes.”

“I can’t believe it. You make me sick.”

“I’m sorry.”

“These shootings really are tragedies, aren’t they?” he said.

“They are terrible tragedies. Innocent people were killed at Aurora. Those beautiful children had their lives taken far too early at Sandy Hook. The families and loved ones of those affected will be in the hearts and prayers of every American, for months, years, and decades to come.”