12072012 SSFC

SSFC Rep. David Vines discusses cuts to weapons funding Thursday for the Medieval Warriorcraft League, a new campus group focused on teaching historical human combat techniques.

SSFC funds Medieval Warriorcraft League, GUTS

The Student Services Finance Committee approved budgets for the Medieval Warriorcraft League and Greater University Tutoring Services Thursday after making adjustments to the groups’ initial proposals.

The committee approved funding for Medieval Warriorcraft League at $95,177.24, after making moderate cuts to its proposed budget. The group originally requested $136,662.29 in its budget hearing Monday.

SSFC members made significant cuts to the group’s weapons category. New weaponry and safety equipment accounted for more than 50 percent of the group’s original request.

SSFC Rep. David Vines also proposed adding several clauses to the budget due to University of Wisconsin Police Department weapons ban policies, which state an organization must request a waiver to use any item considered a weapon while on campus.

According to SSFC Chair Ellie Bruecker, the MWL has not yet received a waiver.

The clauses state if the group is not granted a waiver by March 13, 2013 several funding categories will not receive funding, including rent, equipment, advanced warrior training and two advanced warrior coordinator positions.

“I think it would be fiscally responsible to make sure we only pay for this if they can use it,” Vines said.

At the meeting, SSFC also approved funding for GUTS at $174,068.20, a decrease of approximately $900.00 from the group’s initial proposal.

SSFC Rep. Sarah Neibart, who voted to approve the GUTS budget, said she was satisfied with the final composition of the group’s budget and felt it would allow the group to increase its services to students on campus.