Out-of-state enrollment cap could increase

A University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents committee unanimously approved an adjustment to UW-Madison policy Thursday which will allow an increase in enrollment of out-of-state and international students.

The Regents’ Education Committee members voted to amend the original proposal of increasing the enrollment cap to 30 percent, instead increasing it to 27.5 percent from its current level at 25 percent. The proposal also requires an annual review of enrollment levels at UW-Madison.

Regent Jeffrey Bartell spoke in favor of the increase, saying he believes in the importance of a diverse and international student body.

“I firmly believe that a diverse student body benefits quite significantly in the learning process at the university,” Bartell said. “It prepares students both for their role in the job market and economy as well as their role as citizens in their community and world.”

Bartell also cited the financial benefits of the change, as out-of-state tuition is nearly double the rate than for Wisconsin residents.

The cap will move to 27.5 percent for the 2013-’14 academic year, pending the full board’s approval Friday.

The Regents’ Business, Finance and Audit Committee also passed a resolution to raise the salary of two UW System chancellors, as well as approving the controversial Human Resources redesign plan.

The committee approved resolutions to raise the salary ranges of the UW-Madison and UW-Eau Claire chancellors. Search committees are currently seeking candidates to fill both of these positions.

The salary range for the UW-Madison chancellor will change from $369,907-$452,109 to $427,500-$522,500 under the new policy.

Regent Charles Pruitt said he supported the increase because chancellors play an increasingly important role as university campuses gain additional flexibility.

Additionally, the Business, Finance and Audit Committee unanimously approved changes in Regent policy for the HR redesign, such as the creation of a formal governing body for current classified staff.

After its release this September, the university’s shared governance groups reviewed and showed support for the proposed overhaul of UW-Madison’s personnel system following multiple campus engagement forums.

The full Board of Regents must also vote Friday for final approval of the salary increases and HR plan.

UW-Madison Chancellor David Ward also presented the university’s strategy of using innovation and flexibility to move forward in the current climate of declining state support and revenue limitations for higher education.

“I think leadership in higher education today is about sustaining the limited and variable resources that we have rather than ... waiting around for resources to come,” Ward said. “We have to be active stewards of what we have while still making the case for new resources.”

Ward used the example of Educational Innovation, an ongoing initiative to update and many campus departments’ curriculum using new technologies and teaching strategies.