Every Time I Die to give Madison fresh taste of metal

Every Time I Die is not just another metal band that plays too fast and loud for the average listener. In fact, the metal and hardcore genres don’t fully define their sound according to vocalist Keith Buckley, who has been with the group since its formation in 1998.

“I definitely don’t think of us as a hardcore band or a metal band,” Buckley said. “I feel like it’s a groove more than anything else.”

The group is unique in its ability to evade many of the stereotypes so often associated with heavy music. Instead of relying on blast beats and sweeps, Every Time I Die incorporates interesting forms of syncopation and melodies that are accessible to a fairly broad audience, while still being technical. They developed this style by refusing to close their minds to a variety of artists.

“I actually paid attention to music that had catchy parts,” Buckley said. “It wasn’t just blast beats the entire time. So I think we latched onto bands that really had a hook but were still heavy at the same time.”

Their distinct mixture of influence and talent has allowed Every Time I Die to perform in many different scenarios. However, not everyone entirely appreciates their efforts to avoid concrete stylistic labels.

“One year we did Ozzfest, the next we did Warped Tour,” Buckley said. “It’s weird because we can do that and it works out well for us. But whenever we start mixing things up like that, people get really angry because they don’t know how to classify us.”

Every Time I Die released their sixth full-length album Ex Lives, which received many highly positive reviews, in March. Song titles such as “Underwater Bimbos from Outer Space” might be a turnoff for some, but there is certainly nothing silly musically about Ex Lives. It’s a thoroughly thought-out album. Instrumentally, the band manages to move from odd time signature to odd time signature seamlessly, while Buckley’s singing is poignant and perfectly in-your-face.

It’s been some time since Every Time I Die last played in Madison, which makes their upcoming show at The Loft on December 16 extra exciting. But Every Time I Die isn’t the only reason to head out to The Loft on Sunday evening. The Chariot, another highly respected act among pseudo-hardcore circles, will hit the stage before them. Buckley only had good things to say about touring with The Chariot.

“I think Josh [Scogin] is one of the best vocalists in the game right now,” Buckley said. “I watch them and I’m reminded why we’re doing it still because they’re so passionate.”

It doesn’t take a metal-head to appreciate what Every Time I Die and The Chariot bring to the stage. Both bands are overflowing with musical creativity and innovation. The show is at 6:30 p.m. at The Loft on December 16. The doors will open at 6 p.m. Tickets are $15 in advance and $17 the day of the show.