Dining guide rates local restaurants on worker treatment

Two labor groups released the results of a comprehensive dining guide Tuesday rating the working conditions restaurant employees in central Madison.

The Workers Rights’ Center and the Interfaith Coalition for Worker Justice conducted the survey, reviewing 139 restaurants on seven criteria including starting wages, sick days, health insurance and access to retirement plans.

Members of these Madison labor groups conducted interviews of Madison area restaurant employers and employees by phone, email and letter to gather accurate information, according to ICWJ Field Organizer Becky Schigiel.

Schigiel said the survey is meant to point out employers who are providing good jobs in the community, to serve as an example to to other employers who receive low ratings and to give employees more information when looking for jobs.

“Our hope is again to get this conversation up and going loud and clear in our community and see what we collectively do at least in our own community,” Schigiel said.

ICWJ Director Renee Bauer said through the survey, the group hoped to raise awareness about how local restaurants treat workers, in regards to the wages and benefits offered to them and to serve as a guide for potential customers.

“It gives people the opportunity to...put their feet where their morals are,” Bauer said. “Knowing that this is an industry rife with violations of industry workers, we wanted to bring the attention of that to the public.”

Although survey results were released Tuesday, Bauer said restaurants have already been influenced by the study and are “doing exactly what he hoped.”

Food Fight, a conglomeration of restaurants, nine of which are including in the guide, increased their starting non-tipped salary to meet the minimum recommendation of $8.75, specified in the guide.

Bauer also said the Weary Traveler Freehouse, 1201 Williamson Street, increased its health insurance coverage after reviewing the survey results.

A surprising aspect of the study, according to WRC Director Patrick Hickey, showed that some of the “fine dining” places in Madison do not provide the same wages and benefits that smaller coffee shops in the area do.

Ancora Coffee, 112 King St., received a “star” rating, meaning the company met or exceeded the survey’s expectation, in six of the seven categories.

Other restaurants receiving top marks included Ian’s Pizza, Dayton Street Grille and many of eateries operated by University of Wisconsin-Madison such as Aldo’s Cafe in the Wisconsin Institute of Discovery.