Developers propose demolishing three downtown buildings for apartment complex

Developers plan to demolish three buildings on West Dayton, West Johnson and North Broom streets to make way for an apartment complex geared toward young professionals in Madison.

David Schutz, the project’s developer, plans to construct an apartment complex on lots currently occupied by buildings located at 424 W. Dayton St., 415 W. Johnson St. and 226 N. Broom St.

The proposed apartment complex would be 12 stories on the Johnson Street side and six stories on the side of the building facing Dayton and Broom Streets, according to Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4.

The apartment building would have 320 to 340 units, with a mixture of studio, 1 and 2- bedroom units as well as 215 parking spaces, according to the preliminary project description from Eric Lawson of Potter Lawson Inc., an architectural firm in Madison.

Although the proposal would require the demolition of “currently affordable” housing in Dayton Square, Verveer said the current buildings are “ugly and run-down.”

Verveer said the proposed design would be beneficial for the neighborhood because the property is “currently underutilized.”

“It comes down to providing more housing choices for more downtown residents,” Verveer said.

The developers plan to submit a formal application to the city Jan. 2 before presenting it to the Urban Design Commission Feb. 20.

According to the preliminary project description, construction will begin on or before mid-August 2013 with residents moving in mid-August 2014.

Developers also plan to discuss the proposal with residents at a Mifflin Neighborhood Meeting in mid-December.