UW System announces initial Flexible Option degree program specifics

The University of Wisconsin System announced Wednesday it will likely become the first public university system in the nation to implement a Flexible Option degree program, which is designed to provide a new way for working adults to earn a college degree.

The program would allow students to earn credit by demonstrating knowledge acquired in a traditional lecture setting as well as through a variety of outside venues, including independent studies and online courses.

“Your ability to choose the right form for instruction is entirely in your hands,” UW System Spokesperson David Giroux said.

The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee would begin the program in fall 2013, becoming the first program to implement it, UW System Spokesperson David Giroux said.

The program would offer two nursing degrees, a bachelor’s degree-completion program in Diagnostic Imaging, a B.S. in Information Science & Technology, and a certificate in Professional and Technical Communication.

Giroux said when the system announced the program in June it was a bold step, and that Wednesday’s announcement provided specificity on the vision. He said he had no knowledge of when UW-Madison would follow suit.

“The first announcement was our intention to go to the moon, and today’s announcement was showing you what the rocket ship would look like and announcing which three astronauts would be the first to travel to the moon,” Giroux said. “So we still have a lot of work to do, we have to build the rocket ship and train the astronauts, but we have a plan and a timeline.”