Thompson, Baldwin clash in final debate

Democrat Tammy Baldwin and Republican Tommy Thompson butted heads over the economy, health-care reform, and their responses to 9/11 Friday during the third and final Senatorial debate at Marquette University’s law school.

Job creation has been one of the most pressing issues of the election, and Friday saw the two candidates again disagree on the best way to stimulate the economy.

Thompson was quick to tout the Keystone pipeline, a proposed project that would bring oil from northern Canada to the lower United States, as a good source for immediate job creation, naming several Wisconsin businesses that could directly benefit from the massive oil project.

Following that vein, Thompson showed strong support for domestic energy programs, particularly ones that encourage mining natural gas.

Baldwin referenced her work as a congresswoman in increasing manufacturing in Wisconsin, saying implementing sterner economic policies concerning China and reworking corporate tax codes to discourage job outsourcing would help the middle class and spark job creation.

“When we pay U.S. tax dollars they ought to be supporting U.S. jobs, and too often we’re not using U.S. employees,” she said.

Baldwin and Thompson’s views also clashed when discussing health-care reform. Although both agreed reform is necessary, Thompson said he is in favor of a voucher-like system similar to that of vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan’s plan, while Baldwin said she supports the president’s Affordable Health Care Act.

At multiple points the candidates expressed displeasure at what has been a largely negative advertising campaign, claiming images perpetuated in attack ads have been grossly inaccurate.

Thompson showed indignation at claims in Baldwin ads that he is a “sell-out,” arguing he is committed to the people of Wisconsin.

The debate included an emotional exchange regarding the candidates’ response to 9/11. Thompson asserted that Baldwin failed to vote for legislation “honoring victims” following the tragedy, a claim Baldwin found “outrageous,” condemning what she referred to as inappropriate politicization of the event.

When asked about their top priorities, both brought up stimulating the economy, though endorsing slightly different approaches to tackle the issue.

Baldwin said she wants to focus primarily on job creation while Thompson argued the budget crisis is the most pressing issue.