Obama, Romney talk foreign policy in final debate

In their third and final presidential debate, President Barack Obama and Mitt Romney engaged each other on foreign policy issues facing the country, from an increasingly volatile situation in Iran to a humanitarian crisis in Syria. But frequently, the debate turned back to familiar domestic issues like the economy.

The debate largely centered on issues in the Middle East and saw Romney paint the political situation in the region as worrisome and Obama portray a more optimistic image.

For example, Romney described the recent revolution in Libya as “disturbing,” while President Obama shifted the focus to an image of Libyans marching in the streets saying, “America is our friend. We stand with them.”

With the threat of a nuclear Iran looming, Obama pledged his allegiance to Israel and said, “As long as I am President of the United States, Iran will not get a nuclear weapon.”

But Romney was quick to criticize Obama on his handling of Iran, questioning his silence during the Green Revolution and suggesting the sanctions the United States and other countries have placed on Iran aren’t tough enough.

Obama responded by saying, “We put in the toughest, most crippling sanctions ever.”

On Syria, both candidates were adamant in saying that Syrian leader Bashir al-Assad must go. Romney described the situation in the country as a humanitarian disaster, arguing the United States should provide arms to those in opposition to Assad and use the opportunity to take a stronger leadership role in the region.

Obama agreed that steps must be taken to promote a moderate Syrian government, but he said he doesn’t support providing rebel forces with weapons and that ultimately “Syrians are going to have to determine their own future.”

Frequently, the candidates shifted the debate back to domestic issues.

Obama suggested the economy has been neglected in the face of international conflict, and was quick to point out that tax increases and increased defense spending proposed by Romney will not benefit the ailing economy or improve America’s standing in the world.

But Romney said his plan to lower taxes for all tax brackets would create 12 million new jobs and spur economic growth.

In perhaps memorable sound bight of the debate, Obama took a jab at Romney after he pointed out that there are fewer naval ships than there were in 1916.

“We also have fewer horses and bayonets — because the nature of our military’s changed,” Obama said in response.