City to work on solutions for Occupy Madison

Mayor Paul Soglin’s office confirmed Tuesday city officials are “working on solutions” to provide shelter for members of Madison’s Occupy movement and homeless communities, with plans for a new downtown homeless shelter still undetermined.

Ald. Bridget Maniaci, District 2, said the East Washington site is not considered a campground under city ordinances, so it is not legal for people to pitch tents and sleep on the property.

Some members of the Occupy encampment moved back to the former Occupy site on East Washington Avenue after county campsites closed for the season this past weekend.

According to Tenant Resource Center Executive Director Brenda Konkel, Madison’s women and homeless shelters do not meet the homeless community’s needs, with beds running out quickly and women waiting in line for a “lottery.”

Dane County Executive Joe Parisi proposed funding for a new homeless shelter in his 2013 county budget to better provide for the needs of Madison’s homeless this winter.

But the shelter’s location is still being debated among city and county officials, with the 800 block of East Washington Avenue and the former military building on Wright Street as the two options on the table.

“I think it’s a really great step forward for [the city and county] to put money toward a day shelter,” Konkel said in an interview Monday. “It’s a huge step forward.”

According to Konkel, members of Occupy plan to formulate a strategy to prevent problems that occurred last year, including a more effective way to control disruptive behavior, clean up trash and keep noise levels low.

“The core group of people that’s here right now feel very strongly about…how we can work together to make sure there’s no problems,” Konkel said.