Column: Schultz’s professional career up in the air

After one of the most prolific careers in Wisconsin Badger men’s hockey history, junior defenseman Justin Schultz has decided to leave the university in order to pursue his NHL future. While this marks the end of Schultz’s time as a Badger, it is only another step in his unique path to the NHL.

For most professional sports, the road to the majors is fairly linear —leave school, enter draft, join team—but it is a bit different in hockey. The Anaheim Ducks drafted Schultz 43rd overall in the 2008 draft, a year before he ever set foot on the Kohl Center ice, and they have had the last four years to sign him to a pro contract.

With his official “de-registration” from Wisconsin in May, however, they are left with only a 30-day window to sign or trade the two-time Hobey Baker finalist before he can sign with the team of his choice as a free agent.

As he has still not signed with Anaheim, it seems obvious that he will be opting for free agency and will begin his pro career somewhere other than Southern California.

This decision has not been taken lightly by Duck fans, some of whom have taken to their nearest Internet message boards to voice their displeasure. While their grumblings will not go away any time soon, the other 29 teams in the NHL are salivating at the chance to sign one of the top prospects in the league.

So why is there such an uproar over a 21 year old who has never played one second of professional hockey?

“It’s his vision. It’s his composure with the puck. It’s his puck skills,” Badger head coach Mike Eaves told The Province last month. “We had such a young team, we relied on him a ton and everyone knew it. He was able to perform and have success, even though he was a targeted guy.”

Bob McKenzie of TSN even went so far as to claim that Schultz would be the third most sought-after player in free agency this summer, only after New Jersey Devils captain Zach Parise and Nashville Predator defenseman (and fellow former Badger) Ryan Suter.

Schultz will not be able to sign anywhere until at least July 1, but a few teams in particular have emerged as “favorites,” including the Edmonton Oilers, the Vancouver Canucks and the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Edmonton and Vancouver both have bright futures, but Toronto has not been to the playoffs since before the 2004-’05 lockout and has consistently struggled to find young talent. The one thing the Leafs do have, however, is defenseman Jake Gardiner.

Gardiner, another ex-Badger and 2008 Anaheim Duck draft pick, was deadly when combined with Schultz in the 2010-’11 season, as the two combined for 28 goals and 88 points—far and away the best numbers for any defensive pairing in the country.

The Ducks traded Gardiner in February of last year, a decision that appeared to end any hopes the two had of playing together on a professional stage.

“We always kind of talked about one day maybe playing together in the pro game,” Schultz said in an interview earlier this year. “I was definitely disappointed [when Gardiner was traded]. But it’s a good thing for him. He’s been unreal up there.”

The idea of rejoining his former teammate may ultimately be the deciding factor for Schultz as dozens of NHL fanbases eagerly await his decision.

While his NHL future may not be clear, this much is: The Badgers are saying goodbye to one of the most productive and dynamic players in the program’s history.

Which team do you think will sign Schultz? Will Gardiner’s spot on Toronto give the Maple Leafs an edge over the rest of the NHL? E-mail Ryan at mrmasterson@wisc.edu.