Journey

Thatgamecompany’s latest release, “Journey” makes for a gorgeously-animated and gratifying gaming experience whether you play alone or with a randomly-encounter online companion.

A gaming 'Journey' well worth taking

Surrounded by an endless expanse of sand, you wake up in a foreign world with only a shimmering mountaintop looming ominously in the distance. Devoid of options, you begin your journey towards a goal that could mark either a sanctuary or a false hope. Suddenly, a bright figure appears in the distance.

You approach cautiously, not knowing whether he is friend or foe. He peers inquisitively at you for a few seconds before signaling with a luminous circle. Instinctively you follow.

Behind a flowing waterfall of sand, he shows you a secret and continues on through the level signaling for you to trail behind. You sit pensively for several seconds before deciding to follow this mysterious figure; in this instant you determine the course of your voyage and in this decision lies the brilliance of “Journey.”

Thatgamecompany is known for their experimental games such as “Flow” or “Flower,” and “Journey” is no different—the title is as much a social experiment as it is a game.

Players will encounter other online players throughout the gorgeous world of the game and can decide for themselves whether they want to work with them or ignore them completely while continuing on alone. There is no indication of who the player is, voice communication is disabled and so each player must rely on simple audio cues that accompany visual circles that radiate from the avatar.

The complete uniqueness of each individual experience is what makes “Journey” such a captivating game. On one journey, I rarely interacted with the nearly seven other players I encountered, while on the other I shared every experience with a single random companion I encountered online.

The actual gameplay is minimal—simplistic puzzles are sprinkled throughout that unlock new pathways, allowing the characters to continue their trek. The few enemies that appear throughout the game do not actually kill, but instead cut the scarves players build up through hidden pick-ups that allow them to fly further distances the farther it extends.

Despite the simplistic gameplay, exploring the world is extremely satisfying as there are numerous secret areas to explore that may hold runes, artifacts or collectibles for the player to find.

While the actual interaction with the world is not very robust, the beautiful environments throughout are some of the best in video gaming.

Golden sand twinkles in the sunlight, abandoned ruins appear dark and foreboding and the colossal creatures that inhabit the world are terrifying, yet captivating in their ancient, stone golem-like depiction. The sheer wonder accompanying every new area compels players to explore every inch of this dazzling world.

Although the graphics are incredible, the most impressive part of “Journey” is its unique take on co-op. Other, random online players populate the game world and will appear throughout each playthrough, allowing players to play through co-operatively or ignore them completely and continue throughout solo.

Though playing individually is still a rewarding experience, deciding exactly how you want to play—whether that entails jumping from partner to partner or finding a single companion to accompany you—is what makes “Journey” stand out. Disabling all communication was a bold choice, but one that I think makes the trip that much more meaningful when it has concluded.

Alternatively, when my single partner and I finally reached the distant mountaintop, the sadness I felt at seeing my anonymous companion disappear was something I never thought a game could elicit.

The beauty of “Journey” doesn’t lie in only viewing its gorgeous landscapes or finding every hidden secret, but is instead the harmonious combination of every distinct element. Minimalistic gameplay allows the player to instead focus on experiencing its original take on co-op in whatever manner they please.

While the endgame may be the illustrious mountaintop, the bond formed with the anonymous avatar partner of your choosing is ultimately the greatest triumph of “Journey.”

When I finally arrived at the seemingly unreachable mountaintop I felt satisfaction, but also—as I watched my character slowly float away and my partner disappear—I was left realizing the mountaintop was worthless and the only thing that ever truly mattered was the journey.

Grade: B+