Redevelopment near Capitol Square to improve city's economy, bike paths

City planning officials presented $200 million redevelopment plans for a block of city-owned property near the Capitol Tuesday, which they say would stimulate the economy and improve the block’s bike lanes and sidewalks.

Planners presented information on the Judge Doyle Square Staff Team Report conducted by city planners, which outlines redevelopment plans for Judge Doyle Square near the City Municipal Building and Government East parking on E. Doty Street by Capitol Square.

Staff representative George Austin said the redevelopment would better integrate and promote bicycle infrastructure by creating a bike lane on Pickney Street and connecting it to the Lake Monona Bike Path.

The plans would widen sidewalks around the block in order to create a public space which the report said would “accommodate outdoor retail and restaurant uses, landscaping and other urban amenities as well as provide strong pedestrian connectivity and accessibility.”

“We believe the project is one of the most complex projects the city will have undertaken,” Austin said. “We believe it’s worth it, and we should proceed.”

Planners said the project would also stimulate economic expansion and maximize land use by creating a new hotel in addition to retail and commercial space.

According to the report, the redevelopment would greatly enhance the city’s estimated property value and activity at the Monona Terrace Convention Center by attracting more people to the area.

The combined development would generate approximately $660,000 per year in tax revenue and hotel room taxes could increase by $600,000 to $1 million per year, according to the report.

“It is the opportunity to receive a significant economic development opportunity for the city,” Austin said.