francis street

Police are looking for a male suspect in a sexual assault of a young woman near the 600 block of University Avenue.

Police investigate sexual assault near campus

Police are investigating the sexual assault of a 21-year-old woman early Saturday, which took place in an alley between State Street and the 600 block of University Avenue.

A male suspect sexually assaulted the victim after forcing her into a poorly lit alley or parking lot around 2:30 a.m., according to Madison Police Department Sgt. Ann Lehner.   

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said the incident took place on Hawthorne Court, which is the alley adjacent to Johnny O’s Restaurant and Bar near University Avenue and Frances Street.

The suspect was unable to give details on the suspect’s identity and could not identify his race. She described him as under 30 years old with stubble on his face, according to Lehner.

It is also near the Fluno Center, other UW-Madison buildings and residence halls as well as a number of bars and restaurants that are popular late at night.  

Mayor Paul Soglin and other city officials surveyed the area in September looking to improve safety. They deemed Hawthorne Court as an area that needs additional lighting, according to Verveer.

“We are seeing a number of incidents on campus,” Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, said. “I will be meeting with the police department in the future to discuss whether these incidents are more than a statistical anomaly.”