Too hot

Classrooms, dorms to cool off in two weeks

Few students complain about the warmer than average mid-March temperatures outside, but the temperatures inside UW-Madison buildings are a different story.

“From the moment we got there to pretty much the end of class, the heat was unbearable,” UW freshman Monica Ruppert said of the Social Science building. “There was no fan and no windows to open or anything.”

But according to Faramarz Vakili, Associate Director of UW’s Physical Plant Department, students will have to wait another two weeks to cool down because the campus cooling system takes three to four weeks to fully kick in.

He said the system cools priority buildings, like the UW Hospital, research labs and buildings with animals, first, reaching other campus buildings later, especially those with plenty of windows.

Due to the unseasonably warm temperatures, UW Plant Maintenance staff is working overtime to start the chilling process weeks ahead of schedule, Vakili said.

The cooling system for UW consists of an underground loop that runs across campus. Inside, cold water runs into coils to send cold air through vents into buildings. The water, usually about 40 degrees, is drained during the winter to avoid water freezing in the pipes.

In the spring, these coils are prepped and then the cooling process starts over. This process usually takes about three to four weeks to complete for the 120 buildings in the system.

Until the procedure is complete, however, students will continue to feel the heat, especially in classrooms and dorms.

In addition to being a nuisance, some students feel the heat interferes with daily activities.

“It’s so much harder to concentrate on homework and to fall asleep when you are thinking just about how hot you are,” UW freshman and Witte Hall resident Amber Cypcar said.

Citing priority areas like the hospital and research buildings, Vakili said patience is key.

“People need to be patient and know that we have a priority system... And people’s comfort is not a top priority for us,” he said. “You can walk outside or get a drink of water to get cool, but research activities or animals do not have that luxury.”

Those with urgent concerns about the temperature in their building can contact the UW Physical Plant by calling 608-263-3333.