Knight

Hilary Knight and the Badgers have had plenty of postseason experience in recent years, which will be a key advantage.

Women's Hockey: Wisconsin moving on from loss, preparing for Mankato

Few programs in college sports have been as synonymous with winning and championships as the No. 1 Wisconsin women’s hockey team (23-3-2-1 WCHA, 29-3-2 overall).

The dominance of the team in recent seasons turned feelings of confidence in the team to shock Saturday as the Badgers suffered a stunning 4-2 defeat at home to an unassuming Ohio State team.

“That’s why we play, you don’t know what going to happen. Every game has its own story,” head coach Mark Johnson said.

The Buckeyes came out of the gate quickly putting up three goals in the first period, the most goals surrendered in a period all season long by the Badgers. Despite cutting the deficit to 3-2 on a Carolyne Prevost goal, an empty net goal by Ohio State sealed the Badger’s fate. The loss spoiled senior day for a group that otherwise has ranked as one of the most accomplished in the athletic department’s history, combining for multiple conference and national championships.

“Like every other game, we just have to look at what did we do well, what didn’t we do well and what do we need to do to improve to win the next weekend,” Johnson said, “Whether it was good or it was bad it is what it is and we need to move on.”

Being able to mentally adjust from a tough loss will be critical for the Badgers as the postseason journey begins this weekend. Despite the setback Wisconsin still clinched the No. 1 seed in the WCHA playoffs with the best record in the conference.

“Everyone comes back to the starting line, everyone starts with zero. So whether you had a great season, a mediocre one, or one that didn’t go as planned, now everyone has a chance to play into the NCAA tournament if they win the conference tournament,” Johnson said.

Up first for Wisconsin is a best-of-three games home series against the last-place team finisher in the WCHA, Minnesota State (3-24-1, 7-16-1). Despite the gap in talent reflected by the records, Johnson is not dismissing the team’s first round foe.

“Experience and the ability to play at home are the two key ingredients, especially in the first round. That is when it helps the most,” Johnson said. “Experience is a big tool to have in your tool box. The ability to come out on the ice and understand the pressure and context of playoff hockey is good for players to have.”

Probably the player whose experience will be counted on the most is all-American senior forward Hilary Knight. As she heads into her final year of postseason play with the Badgers, the senior will look to guide an otherwise youthful team back to the NCAA tournament finals, a game that Johnson and Knight have become familiar with during their time in Madison.