Transportation Services presents budget to Student Transportation Board

Representatives from UW-Madison Transportation Services presented their budget for the 2013 fiscal year to members of the Student Transportation Board Tuesday.

The budget, which is slated at around $1.7 million, includes campus bus and taxi services.

Currently, student segregated fees pay for 100 percent of the taxi services and 50 percent of the bus services.

Transportation Administrator Gordon Graham said Transportation Services plans to replace or repair bus shelters on campus over the next eight years.

Board member Laura Checovich said students were not included in the discussion of replacing the shelters and asked if it was appropriate they pay to repair them.

“I find it unusual that we would be asked to pay for something that we were not consulted on,” Checovich said.

But Graham said if Transportation Services did not replace the shelters, nobody else would.

Transportation Services Representative Dar Ward said many of the shelters, which typically have about a 15-year lifespan, are around 20 years old.

The board will now work to set the budget before it goes to the Student Services Finance Committee and student council for final approval.