New voter ID law implemented at primary election without issues

Despite reports from city officials that the implementation of a new voter ID law went smoothly, Tuesday's primary, local judge and county supervisor elections saw low voter turnout.

Under the new law, voters are required to show valid identification at the polls, which includes a Wisconsin driver's license, U.S. passport or a university-issued voter ID card for out-of-state students.

Enacting the new law was not as much of a concern as educating voters on the changes, according to Chief Deputy Dane County Clerk Sherri Endres.

"This was a great test run for following elections," she said.

Although officials reported minimal voting complications, Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, said he is concerned with the low voter turnout and how the law may only perpetuate it.

"I would say that many will be turned away in future elections for not having proper form of identification," Resnick said.

In response to the new law, UW-Madison's Wiscard office is distributing free voter ID cards for students.

According to Director of Communications Amy Toburen, more than 300 students have picked up IDs.

While Resnick said the best option would be to incorporate the required voting information on each individual Wiscard, the student voter IDs are a "step in the right direction."

Although the city has not received complaints, officials will review the effects of the new requirements.

"If there haven't been issues, we will continue on and if there are specific issues, we will handle them individually," Endres said.