'Skyward Sword' earns legendary status

"The Legend of Zelda" series is one of the most beloved gaming franchises of all time-each entry has built on Zelda's classic formula by adding its own innovative new wrinkles.

Although its success is beyond dispute, many fans have cried foul over the series sticking too close to its roots and not providing enough innovation. Nintendo has soundly responded to these critics with "Skyward Sword," which simultaneously delivers the classic Zelda formula while bringing the series into the modern era.

"Skyward Sword" begins as any other Zelda game: Our unlikely hero Link is thrust into action to save Zelda from the clutches of evil, this time personified by the exceptionally creepy Ghirahim. However, this time Hyrule is nowhere to be seen, replaced instead by the floating village of Skyloft and the expansive ether that surrounds it. Link is then free to explore the sky at his leisure (a la Wind Waker but without annoyingly having to change wind patterns) on his loftwing. The world itself is full of islands to explore, each harboring many secrets, quests and activities the player will discover as the universe expands.

Despite the aerial setting, much of the action takes place on the surface as Link sky dives into various lands housing the majority of the game's dungeons. Gameplay features the most obvious innovation through the integration of Wii MotionPlus controls.

Each enemy is a puzzle in and of itself, whether it is Bokoblins blocking attacks from every angle or Skulltullas requiring a sudden jab to their midsection, the Wiimote accurately tracks your motion as you defeat the hordes of enemies that litter the game world.

A new dash ability allows Link to sprint, run up walls and is required for many of the original puzzles they've included. I found myself dashing constantly to traverse the different lands and I hope Nintendo carries this addition into future Zelda titles. Managing the fatigue meter added just one more complex layer to the gameplay.

While the gameplay and combat are definitely steps forward, Nintendo included many other seemingly smaller innovations that add up to make "Skyward Sword" truly the leap forward everyone had been hoping for. Having the ability to save the game mid-dungeon helps to avoid the annoying journey through the same dungeon that was required in past Zelda's anytime a player quit his game.

Expanded dialogue options give the player a miniscule-but still satisfying-amount of control over conversations. A light upgrade system even allows players to enhance their weapons and items. Each of these upgrades are welcome additions to the Zelda franchise and should definitely be expanded in future iterations.

The Zelda soundtrack has always been stellar, and "Skyward Sword" offers the best sounds of the series. Following the same route as "Super Mario Galaxy," the game's composers have instituted a fully orchestrated soundtrack to create a beautiful sounding score for every situation.

The graphics also stand out as some of the best from the Wii's entire life cycle. The world itself is much more vibrant and colorful than the muted, dark world of "Twilight Princess". Its almost cartoonish graphics also help portray much more emotion on characters' faces, a necessary requirement as "Skyward Sword" still doesn't institute any voice acting.

I would have loved any Zelda game even if it was just a re-hash of the same great formula, but "Skyward Sword" truly blew my expectations out of the water. From the beautifully crafted worlds to the smartly implemented gameplay innovations to the always-challenging dungeons, this entry stands out among a franchise that has delivered classic after classic.

Every new feature was a welcome addition and gave the franchise a lot of new elements upon which it should only improve as the series continues.

"Skyward Sword" is an amazing bookend to the Wii's life cycle that started in 2006 with "Twilight Princess" and ends with a title that is worthy to stand not only among the Wii's best titles, but the entire generation's.

Nintendo has given gamers one last reason to dust off their Wiis before shelving them for the Wii-U next year, but while we all wait to finally see Zelda in HD, I can't imagine a better distraction than the masterpiece that is "Skyward Sword."

Grade: A