ASM

ASM student council will elect a new Diversity Committee chair this Wednesday.

ASM Diversity Chair steps down

Student government Diversity Chair Tangela Roberts announced she will be stepping down from her position this week.

Roberts, who has served as chair since last February, said she is stepping down to focus on her graduate schooling.

“It’s just been a lot managing my schoolwork with ASM this semester,” Roberts said.

Associated Students of Madison Chair Allie Gardner said Roberts discussed leaving her position for about one month.

“It’s something that’s just not going to fit into her schedule and she knows that it has to be a priority for whoever’s doing it,” Gardner said. “Since her academics are taking on such a big role she thinks she needs to step down, so I’ve known for a while. It’s not a surprise.”

Roberts said some of her biggest accomplishments as chair were implementing mandatory diversity trainings for ASM student council representatives and getting members of the committee more involved in its efforts.

ASM student council will appoint a new chair at this Wednesday’s meeting.

Both Gardner and Roberts said they hope the new chair has experience working on the committee.

“We have some really strong members, a lot of people who have stayed throughout my time as chair,” Roberts said. “It would be great to have someone to keep following that and understanding what we started and our goals and keep that going.”

Roberts said she plans to stay involved on the committee after a new chair takes over.

Previously this year, five other ASM student representatives stepped down. Their spots were filled in the ASM fall elections. 

Currently, the ASM Nominations Board Chair and student council Vice Chair positions are vacant after ASM representatives voted against reappointing Niko Magallon and Beth Huang to their respective positions.

Magallon and Huang were removed from their positions in September after the Student Judiciary ruled they failed to complete required service hours as punishment for violating election rules.