The best of the Madison bar scene

bar: Mark Kauzlarich

The best of the Madison bar scene

BEST SPORTS BAR

It's far from the coolest or hippest bar in town, the specials—for the most part—aren't spectacular and the food is mediocre at best. But holy crap is State Street Brats a great place to watch a game.

With what seems like hundreds of TVs all tuned to one game or another, it seems impossible to imagine a line of sight at Brats that doesn't include sports.

The bar has earned plenty of hype for its atmosphere, and the praise is well deserved. If you can't be there in person, the next best place is State Street Brats.

BEST HIPSTER BAR

Genna's is the kind of place you go to thinking you've finally found that bar where all the cool grad students go, even if in reality the crowd is mostly made up of your Intro to Anthropology class.

Genna's is relatively cheap for a Capitol bar, has a good selection of booze and is practically too cute for its own good. It may not be the most hipster bar in Madison (that award goes to the Plaza on Thursday nights), but it is definitely the best one in town—with a dangerously high volume of ironic facial hair, to boot.

MOST IMPROVED BAR

What was once the infamous shit-hole of the Madison bar scene, the Echo Tap has transformed into a modern masterpiece. The original plans called for the elimination of the patio and expansion of the building, but budgeting costs and complaints from neighboring residents canceled plans. This was a blessing in disguise as the outdoor beer garden perfectly complements the newly designed interior space. Those used to drinking away their troubles in the dive that once was Echo Tap will find a revamped and highly improved watering hole.

BEST MUSIC VENUE BAR

For the best live music in town, in an intimate bar setting at least, look no further than the High Noon Saloon. Located on East Washington Avenue it's only a short jaunt past the Capitol and the caliber of music that comes through there is second only to the major venues in town. With great weekly features like Rock Star Gomeroke (Karaoke backed by a live band) on Tuesdays and big shows on the weekends, this is definitely a place to look for your watering and live entertainment needs, should they happen fall on the same night.

BEST BAR FOR YOUR 21ST

Be honest. You are going to claim you're far too cool and/or alternative for Wando's in the future, so take advantage of that oh-so important birthday and get yourself a neon-colored fishbowl. Wander up to the third floor and see how many athletes' phone numbers you can nab. Wait in line with 20 other co-eds for a bathroom dripping with alcohol-saturated urine. Because on your 21st birthday, Wando's will live up to all the hype you heard as a sad under-ager. After that, it will be fun, but never the fun of your 21st birthday. Don't waste the opportunity.

BEST GIRLS NIGHT OUT BAR

Technically it's a club, and technically the club's patrons are hoping for guests a bit less vagina-having, but when it's time for a girls night out, look no further than Plan B.

It is not out of the question to need a night(s) off from the beer-guzzling men of the dairy state, so take advantage of Ladies Night, held the first Friday of every month and get into the venue for free.

So throw on the slightly too tight mini-skirt, make cocktails a color reserved for the covers of MGMT and MIA albums then get your ass over to Willy Street, because it's dancing time.

BEST BEER BAR

Cooper's Tavern is the new kid on the square. It doesn't bring in the same crowds as standards like The Great Dane or The Old Fashioned, but in the two years since its establishment, Cooper's has become a local favorite thanks to its incomparable beer selection.

It has everything from the kitschy (Monty Python's Holy Grail—yes, that's a real beer, and it's awesome) to the decadent (Young's Chocolate Stout) to the disconcertingly foreign (The Golden Pheasant from the ever-strange Slovak Republic). In keeping with the season, they're also serving pumpkin ale.

And if you demand ingesting beer in some other form, go for the beer-cheese pretzels. They will take you that much closer to a triple bypass, but what a way to go.

MOST LIKELY TO TAKE YOUR FAKE

The walk away from a bar that's just taken your fake ID is a long and frustrating one. You ask yourself what gave it away—did you not answer the bouncer's questions convincingly or quickly enough? Or did you not look confident like a 21-year-old when you handed him the ID?

But if you're like me, the real answer to why you don't have a fake ID anymore is simple: You went to Whiskey Jack's.

The shiny new bar on State Street is more than willing to not only deny you at the door, but also take away that fake ID that was once your pass at Madison's best drinking establishments.

Now you're left to walk home and wonder if it trying to get in to Whiskey Jack's was worth losing that golden ticket (hint—it wasn't).

BEST DATE BAR

We are all either born-and-raised or adopted Wisconsinites, which means nothing brings us closer together better than an Old Fashioned. Ergo, when you're looking for a place to get better acquainted with the witty brunette from your political science discussion, look no further than the Old Fashioned on the Capitol Square.

The perfect combination of bar and restaurant, the Old Fashioned is the ideal spot for a dinner-date or a quick grabbing of drinks.

Apart from the food and drink, the setting is quintessential Wisconsin, plus some decorative paper lanterns.