Students report 'pregnant' woman scamming on campus

Campus and city domestic abuse prevention groups have reported a woman using the pretense of domestic violence to extort money from students and others around the downtown area.

One student, who asked to remain anonymous, said ""Misty Gaines"" approached her on Library Mall saying she was depressed, three months pregnant and in an abusive relationship.

The student, a sophomore, said she fell for the story and ultimately, ""under pressure,"" gave Gaines $100 for a hotel, believing Gaines when she said all the Madison shelters were full.

When the student called police after the incident, the officer confirmed he recognized  Gaines' name, and identified her as ""one of Madison's con artists.""

According to Shannon Barry, executive director of Domestic Abuse Intervention Services, a Madison women's shelter, the facility does not turn away any woman who seeks help.

Gaines and similar con artists misuse the shelter's name to obtain money, Barry said.

""I think it's concerning at this level because other people who do need our services, if they hear about this, wouldn't even bother calling us for help,"" Barry said. ""We want to make sure that people do call us for help when they need us.""

According to Barry, ""about seven people"" have reported Gaines' scamming attempts to DAIS.

Student group Promoting Awareness, Victim Empowerment (PAVE) also confirmed at least four of its members have been approached by Gaines.

PAVE Peer Facilitator Jayne Jones, who was approached on State Street, said Gaines told her she was looking for money for a cab to get to a battered women's shelter in McFarland because ""the shelter in Madison was full.""

Jones said the woman, a little heavyset with a lip piercing, claimed she was six months pregnant.

Jones did not give the woman any money in part, she said, because she knows DAIS is ""the only shelter in Dane County, and it's in Madison,"" Jones said.

""The best thing to do is let these people know that there are resources available to them, and have them contact a Madison Police Officer,"" MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said. ""We will get the resources to them if they need.""