Occupy Madison to involve students with 'Occupy UW'

occupy 10242011

Students inspired by the populist Occupy Wall Street movement in New York City will participate in an Occupy UW march Monday, protesting corporate influence in politics and the economy.

The march is part of Occupy Madison, itself a branch of the larger OWS movement protesting what organizers call social and economic inequality and corporate greed around the country.

Organized by UW-Madison students on the Direct Action Committee of Occupy Madison, the march will begin at Union South at 12:30 p.m., continue up Charter Street and finish at the Memorial Union, where protestors discuss future events.

UW-Madison freshman Noah Phillips, one of Occupy UW's organizers, said the event's purpose is to ""get across to students that they can be empowered and they can stand up and be heard regardless of where they're coming from.""

He also hopes the march will increase student involvement in Occupy Madison.

""[The Occupy Madison] scene is one of the relatively small Occupy communities around the country, and I think part of that is because we haven't had very much student outreach,"" Phillips said.

He said the group will continue to raise students' awareness of Occupy Madison by speaking in lectures, passing out flyers and holding weekly Occupy UW demonstrations.