MCSC appeals SSFC ruling, says committee is failing

10122011 mcsc

The Multicultural Student Coalition told the Student Judiciary Tuesday the Student Services Finance Committee that denied their $1.27 million budget request in September is a ""failing institution.""

The committee denied the group its requested budget last month because it turned in the waiver required to receive eligibility for funding over $250,000 48 minutes late.

While eligibility denial prompted MCSC to bring their complaints against SSFC to the judiciary, the group said its main motive for appealing SSFC's decision was to bring to light the flaws in the body's system.

MCSC staff member Rebecca Pons said the SSFC often stands in the way of student groups getting the funding they deserve by implementing procedures that are difficult for the groups to successfully maneuver.

""It's not even about our waiver being late, it's not about the consequences that followed after,"" Pons said. ""This case's purpose is to show that SSFC is a broken system.""

But SSFC Chair Sarah Neibart disagreed.

""I think that if you're not getting the result that you want, you're going to think that any organization is broken,"" Neibart said. ""I don't think SSFC is broken at all.""

MCSC staff member Nneka Akubeze said some members of the coalition felt targeted by the SSFC, saying when the committee put the $250,000 budget cap on student groups' funding last year, MCSC was the only student group with a budget near the cap.

""This whole process seems a little fishy,"" Akubeze said.

Neibart said the SSFC would never intentionally target a specific group.

""I know that all the people on my committee really take strong pride in remaining viewpoint neutral,"" Neibart said. ""They'd never want to target anyone.""

Members of MCSC also said it was unreasonable for SSFC to expect the group to complete its waiver in the week it was given.

Neibart said SSFC precedent set the one-week limit. She said MCSC was able to turn the waiver in just after deadline, so it was not impossible.

The Student Judiciary has 10 school days to reach a decision on the case.