Badgers hold off Spartans

gilreath: True freshman wide receiver David Gilreath has made an immediate impact in UW's specal teams. Gilreath racked up 178 return yards Saturday, a new Wisconsin record.

Badgers hold off Spartans

The UW football team (5-0 overall, 2-0 Big Ten) won for the fifth time in as many games, but not before it was taken to the wire by a persistent Michigan State team at Camp Randall Stadium Saturday afternoon.  

A week ago against Iowa, the Badger defense held the Hawkeye running backs to a total of 59 yards for the entire game. 

Against the Spartans they had allowed nearly double that amount by the end of the first quarter. 

The Spartans rumbled for a total of 241 yards on the ground, including 105 in the first quarter, as they exposed the Badger defense with many big plays running the football. 

We didn't go out and execute like we should have,"" junior cornerback Allen Langford said. ""We didn't contain the ball."" 

The Spartans averaged 6.5 yards per carry against a Badger defense that had held its previous four opponents to 3.2 yards per rush. The reason for the spike in average can be attributed to two rushes that went for 53 and 70 yards, each leading to scores. 

""I don't know if there was one particular thing or if we had a little trouble tackling, getting the guys down,"" junior defensive lineman Mike Newkirk said. ""They had great running backs that were able to bust a couple plays."" 

Michigan State also attacked the Badgers with dump-off passes, including what turned out to be a 80-yard touchdown pass. Spartan sophomore quarterback Brian Hoyer dropped back and swung a little pass out to junior wide receiver Devin Thomas, who ran up the sideline, cut through the middle, broke a few tackles, and found himself tying the game, just after UW senior quarterback Tyler Donovan found freshman wideout Kyle Jefferson for a 64-yard score. 

Throughout the day, the Badgers found themselves scattering some big plays defensively, including the first forced fumble of the year as MSU quarterback Bryan Hoyer was stripped, but it was the lack of preventing the big plays that proved bothersome. 

""It was more the ones [plays] that they didn't make that concern me,"" head coach Bret Bielema said. ""We expect to put them in a position to have success."" 

In true Badger style, the defense, after getting pummeled on the ground for most of the game, proved itself able to take the game as it comes. 

As Michigan State was driving for a potential tying score, the defense locked down for basically the first time all game and held the Spartans just before they reached field goal range. 

""That's just our character, that's how we are,"" senior defensive lineman Nick Hayden said. ""We know we can step up, we just hope it's not like that. Yet we just stepped up at the end and we kept our heads high all day and just kept bringing it to them."" 

Maybe this game was just an unconventional slip for a usually stout defense, or maybe it was exposed a bit by a tough MSU team - the bottom line remains that the Badgers are 5-0. 

""Anyway we can win, a win is always a win and that's always our No. 1 goal, 1-0