ASM debates removed council members' return

Student government leaders proposed controversial legislation Wednesday to return two recently removed student leaders to their positions.

Former Associated Students of Madison Vice Chair Beth Huang and Nominations Board Chair Niko Magallon were recently removed from council after failing to turn in required service hours on time. The proposed legislation would return them to their seats.

Former ASM Chair Brandon Williams criticized the legislation on behalf of himself and six other former ASM leaders. He said the legislation would undermine the authority of the Student Judiciary, the body who ruled to remove the leaders from their positions.

""This act strips authority from the judiciary in an effort to grant exemption for two individuals and establish the council as the most powerful branch of ASM,"" Williams said.

ASM Rep. Nneka Akubeze spoke in favor of the legislation, saying it would allow the council to move forward.   

""The end goal is that we return to a properly functioning body which is having two crucial chairs back into our circle,"" said Akubeze.  

Although the legislation would allow Huang to return to her seat on council, she spoke against it.

""I think that if student council moves to reinstate me in this way it's equally terrible,"" said Huang.  ""It's a bad precedent and not grounded in any procedures that we have.""

Huang said the Student Judiciary should return her to council, not the legislation.

SJ Chief Justice Kate Fifield strongly opposed the legislation.

""If this is the way things are going to be, I see no reason why SJ should take complaints,"" said Fifield.  

ASM Chair Allie Gardner said Fifield's comments to the council will impact the way that the ASM branches communicate in the future.  

""There's checks and balances between all the bodies,"" said Gardner.  ""In order for us to respect those checks and balances there also must be communication and cooperation.""