Trust your doctor, not Bachmann, on HPV prevention

Dear Erica,

I didn't personally watch the latest GOP debate, but from the highlights I heard one of the candidates claim that the HPV vaccine causes mental retardation. I thought I'd ask some other questions about this common STD.

1. I've heard most sexually active adults have HPV. Is there a reliable test that will let me know if I have it?

2. I know that the FDA recommends that girls get the HPV vaccine, but what about guys? How much does this cost?

3. Will a condom prevent HPV? If not, is there some other way to protect myself from contracting it?

Sincerely,

Drunk Guy

For those readers who didn't catch it, in last Monday's GOP presidential debate, Michele Bachmann told the story of a weepy mother who allegedly explained to her how the HPV vaccine (presumably Gardasil, but nobody ever specifies) caused ""mental retardation"" in her daughter. Bachmann wondered aloud about the potential ""dangerous consequences"" of the vaccine.

So, before I get into Drunk Guy's questions: There are no data anywhere to support anyone's assertion of Gardasil causing mental retardation. None. Ever. That's all I'm going to say about it, and that's all I need to say about it; this is not a debatable topic. Public health policy is not grounded in vague, unverifiable anecdotes, and debates are not conducted over made-up bullshit substantiated by nothing; except, apparently, when you're seeking the GOP presidential nomination. Let freedumb ring.

I digress. Drunk Guy, you asked me three questions. Here are the answers:

1.   Stats vary, but it's true a lot (and probably a significant majority) of adults will contract HPV at some point in their lives. Though we refer to ""HPV"" as a discrete entity, there are 100+ different strains (kinds) of HPV, most of which don't cause any symptoms. Therefore, most people who are infected will never know they have/had it; we don't notice anything during the infection nor any long-term sequelae of infection.

Some strains of HPV do cause symptoms, most notably genital/anal warts or cancer. We usually find warts with our eyes or our fingers. Pap smears (cervical or anal, depending on our possible exposures) can check for the presence of cancerous or pre-cancerous cells. There is no test available for routine screening for penile or oral HPV infection.

2. The FDA approved Gardasil for boys and men ages 9-26 in 2009, about three years after the vaccine became available for women of the same age group. Gardasil protects against four strains of HPV:  6, 11, 16 and 18. These are the strains that cause the majority of warts (6 and 11) and cancers (16 and 18). There is a second HPV vaccine available in the US called Cervarix, which protects against HPV 16 and 18. Cervarix is currently not available to male-bodied people.

Gardasil is a three-dose series and runs around $100 a dose. Many insurance companies will cover it. The student health insurance program (SHIP) available through  UHS covers Gardasil.

3. A condom could help prevent HPV. There are some data showing people who report consistent condom use have lower rates of HPV infection, but there aren't any randomized controlled trials (the most scientifically persuasive level of evidence) indicating condoms actually will decrease the risk of contracting HPV.

HPV is spread when viral particles enter the skin, presumably via skin-to-skin or skin-to-object contact. In theory, the less direct contact you have during sex, the less likely you are to transmit/contract the virus. Since condoms and other barriers don't cover the entire genital area, it's probably unlikely they are as effective in preventing HPV transmission as they are in preventing fluid-borne conditions like chlamydia and pregnancy, but they probably reduce the risk.

One method of HPV prevention that is supported by scientific evidence is Gardasil. If we choose to have sex, it's likely the vaccine is the best way to protect ourselves. Like with any drug (hell, virtually any substance), it's true that a small number of people may experience side effects after receiving the injection, such as pain, fainting, headache, fever or an allergic reaction. But the available evidence suggests Gardasil is a safe, highly effective vaccine. No matter what any GOP presidential hopeful makes up about it.

Drop Erica a sex line or three at sex@dailycardinal.com