Tough Coyotes team looms for Wisconsin

Tooooooooooon: Russell Wilson and Nick Toon connected for five completions and two scores against NIU Saturday, demonstrating what Bret Bielema called ?an obvious connection? between the two.

Tough Coyotes team looms for Wisconsin

While South Dakota may not be a team that strikes fear into the hearts of most college football fans, don't expect that to change the way the Badgers prepare for their opponent this weekend. Wisconsin head coach Bret Bielema knows that if his team wants to win, the Badgers can't change the way they practice, regardless of who they are playing.

""Saturday we need to execute; it doesn't matter who we're playing, if it's South Dakota, Northern Illinois, Oregon State, Nebraska, it's the same for our guys."" Bielema said.

Consistency is clearly the Badgers' main prerogative in practice this week as they head into Saturday's game at Camp Randall.

""If you want to put in the extra time, the success you're going to have is winning bowl games,"" Bielema said.

Bielema understands that while the opponent may change from week to week, the work that his Badgers need to put in, in order to win must stay the same.

""If our preparation this week changes from what it was last week against Northern Illinois, or the week before against Oregon State, or to go ahead a week against Nebraska, then we are setting ourselves up for failure,"" Bielema said.

South Dakota is returning a surplus of veteran leadership on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball from. The 2010 squad was able to knock off Big Ten rival Minnesota at TCF Bank Stadium. That win, coupled with a convincing victory over 2010 FCS champions Eastern Washington this season, shows that the Coyotes may not be the cupcake that many people expect them to be for Wisconsin.

The Coyotes have not shown any signs of intimidation heading into what will surely be the most difficult game, in the fiercest environment, of their 2011 season.

""They lack nothing in confidence overall,"" Bielema said. ""Their kids are excited to play us. One of their defensive linemen said they were gonna come in here and hit us in the mouth.""

If the Badgers want to contain the Coyotes and prevent a catastrophic upset this weekend, they will need to utilize their veteran leadership, which starts with seniors wide receiver Nick Toon and quarterback Russell Wilson.

""Nick Toon has played the three most complete games that I can remember for a long time,"" Bielema said. ""Russell and him obviously have a connection.""

That connection led to five total catches by Toon, including two for touchdowns, which helped pace the Badgers during a pass-happy first half against Northern Illinois.

Toon, along with fellow wide receiver Jared Abbrederis, was rewarded for his efforts against the Huskies by being named the Badgers' offensive MVP for the week by Bielema.

The main injury news this week for the Badgers came from senior right tackle Josh Oglesby who injured his left knee Saturday.

Oglesby has missed significant time over each of the last two seasons with knee injuries, including the final six games of 2010. However this injury appears to be minor. He underwent an MRI on Monday, and his outlook appears to be very good.

""All the preliminary indications have been very, very positive,"" Bielema said.

""There is a very good chance he will play this week, if not, for sure next week as long as the MRI comes back all clean.""