TiÃsto to invade Madtown tonight

Tiësto: Tiësto is kicking off his College Invasion Tour tonight at the Alliant Energy Center.

TiÃsto to invade Madtown tonight

Despite countless weeks of touring, DJ and producer Tiësto never fails to be hyped for an upcoming show, and Madison's party at the Alliant Energy Center tonight promises to be no exception.

Madison marks the first stop on this Holland house music star's College Invasion Tour. Club scene mixes have been popular in Europe for some time, but Tiësto said via email that a new following of young Americans prompted him to reach out to this growing audience.

""I have been seeing a lot of feedback on my social networks from US college students looking for me to come to their schools,"" he said. ""And for me that's a true showing of the growth of a new group of electronic music fans in the United States.""

He hopes to reach these new fans during his 24-straight days of touring across the country, with only four nights off in between. And, being a total house music junkie, his favorite way to spend his down nights is going to see other DJ shows, although catching up on new music, talking with friends and sleeping come in at a close second.

Performing since 1994, Tiësto likes to keep things fresh and says he always seeks to improve every aspect of his performance.

""I never want to become totally comfortable with my music or my performance because the fans are always changing what they like and I always need to be open to what they think,"" he asserted.

Along with mixing his own tunes, Tiësto also produces for Ultra Records and his latest project, Musical Freedom. These labels include big-name artists like Benny Benassi, Deadmau5, Paul Oakenfold and David Guetta, among others. He pretty much lives and breathes house.

But even the most dedicated electro fans must give their fist-pumping arms a rest occasionally, at which times Tiësto may just bust out some jams from one of his favorite bands of all time, Iron Maiden (I know, not what I was expecting either).

""Those guys really know how to rock!"" he said.

Apparently Tiësto too knows a thing or two about rocking, as he boasts numerous albums and collaborations with other artists and was named ""World's No. 1 DJ"" three times over by DJ Magazine between the years of 2002 and 2004.

This high-energy profession and fairly recent success could leave anyone absolutely flabbergasted when they discover he is actually 42 years old. 42. Like, could-be-their-dad old. But he doesn't look a day over 30.

His un-creased complexion has this writer hoping some of her lineage draws itself from the Netherlands, but I digress.

When asked what his dream venue would be, Tiësto says he already had the privilege of playing it when he performed at the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens, Greece.

""[It] was a dream come true. I think it would be hard to top that even in my wildest dreams!"" he said.

But even though one of the only Parthenon's in our area is a gyro place on State Street, Madison still has something to offer Tiësto on his first campus area visit.

""The screaming fans are always an amazing energy boost; they give me all the energy I could ever need,"" Tiësto said, and Madison can definitely make some noise when it comes to getting their rage on.

The show starts at 8 p.m., with 19-year-old Massachusetts-based Porter Robinson kicking things off and warming the audience up. Tickets are still available on Tiësto's website and other ticket purchasing sites.

Tiësto will be lighting up the Alliant Energy Center tonight. Tickets are $37. Porter Robinson, the opening act, is a new addition to the American electronic scene.