Soglin dismisses repeal of habitual offenders law

Mayor Paul Soglin announced at Tuesday's Common Council meeting he will not repeal the Habitually Intoxicated Persons' List, due to strong opposition from Common Council.

The ordinance prevents those identified with repeat criminal offenses related to alcohol use from purchasing alcohol from bars, stores and other venues.

According to Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, Soglin wanted to repeal the current habitual offenders law because he worried it did not respect repeat offenders' legal rights to due process.

Soglin wished to discuss alternative solutions to the issue but every committee denied his proposal.

The Dane County Coalition to Reduce Alcohol Abuse also strongly opposed the repeal of the list.

According to a statement released by the coalition, the ordinance, if enforced, will keep alcohol out of the hands of those who abuse it and therefore ""be part of a critical, comprehensive approach to minimize the negative impact of risky and problem drinking in our community.""

Resnick said habitual offenders are a big issue downtown, especially on State Street.

""There have been so many alcohol-related incidents in a relatively short time span,"" Resnick said. ""If you regularly go to State Street, you can probably point out who these people are.""

The ordinance targets a small population, but a population that draws heavily on police and emergency services, according to a statement released by the alcohol abuse coalition.

There are currently 18 of 41 offenders that made ""the list,"" who have consistently been what Resnick calls ""completely out of line.""

""This ordinance would increase incentive for habitually intoxicated persons to get the help they desperately need to curb their dangerous addiction to alcohol,"" DCCRAA facilitator Maureen Busalacchi said in a statement.

Resnick said Soglin may seek alternatives to the Habitually Intoxicated Persons' List later.