Football player dismissed following arrest

Wisconsin football head coach Bret Bielema dismissed reserve defensive linemen Jake Irwin Tuesday after university police arrested the redshirt freshman, saying he was involved in a fight outside the Red Gym.

UWPD said they arrested Irwin late last week on two counts of disorderly conduct and two counts of battery for his role in an early morning fight on Langdon Street, Sept. 1.

Irwin, a 20-year-old freshman from Waunakee, redshirted as a freshman last season, but was not part of this year's fall camp roster because he was serving a suspension for undisclosed reasons, according to Bielema.

The badger football coach announced his choice to dismiss Irwin Tuesday.

""Following an incident that occurred late last week, I have decided to dismiss Jake from the Wisconsin football team,"" Bielema said in a statement.

""We will continue to provide Jake with support as he transitions into his future and wish him the best,"" he said in the statement.

Detectives investigating the incident said the fight was provoked by an argument that took place earlier in the evening on the Memorial Union Terrace.

Campus police report that Irwin was hit in the head with a rock during the fight, sustaining injuries severe enough to require stitches.

One other person involved in the incident, Abraham Thomas, 17, was also jailed last week.

Thomas was booked on a suspected probation violation, and is still being held at the Dane County Jail on charges of substantial battery.

Campus police say the investigation is ongoing.

Investigators are currently working with the Dane County District Attorney's office to determine Irwin's final charges.