Smith changes mind, will turn pro

Smith: Craig Smith, who led UW with 19 goals last season, will depart the program early in favor of signing a professional contract with the Nashville Predators.

Smith changes mind, will turn pro

Wisconsin men's hockey forward Craig Smith has decided to forego his final two years of college eligibility in order to turn pro.

The 2009 fourth round draft pick of the Nashville Predators led the Badgers with 19 goals last season to go along with 43 points. He was slated to be one of Wisconsin's co-captains with junior defenseman John Ramage this year.

""We're excited for Craig,"" Wisconsin head coach Mike Eaves said. ""The window of opportunity to make a move like this is sometimes small. The landscape has changed with Nashville in that the team has changed somewhat with free agency. Smitty had every thought after a successful senior men's World Championship to come back and play here at Wisconsin, but he feels like there is an opportunity now and he feels in his heart it is the right time to go.""

Smith had originally stated his intention to return to the Badgers for the 2011-‘12 season after UW's season was ended by Colorado College in the first round of the WCHA playoffs.

However, the tide most likely turned for Smith after he was selected to compete for Team USA in the 2011 IIHF World Championships. He was one of the Americans' top scorers, netting three goals, which led the team, and six assists for nine total points which ranked second on the squad.

Smith impressed the Nashville brass at the tournament with general manager Paul Fenton calling Smith a ""terrific prospect."" So, with his NHL stock at an all-time high Smith most likely felt that this was the optimal time to turn pro. Recent roster changes in Nashville also played a factor in Smith's decision.

He will join fellow former UW players Blake Geoffrion and Ryan Suter in Nashville.

The loss of Smith is certainly a big one for Eaves and the Badgers who have already lost defenseman Jake Gardiner and forward Jordy Murray from last year's team to early departures and will have to replace Smith's offensive presence.