Ortalo-Magné named B-School dean

UW-Madison introduced François Ortalo-Magné as the new dean of the Wisconsin School of Business Friday.

Ortalo-Magné, a professor in the UW-Madison School of Business, has been the chairman of the Department of Real Estate and Urban Land Economics at the business school since 2008. He teaches courses in Real Estate Finance and International Real Estate.

After earning his PhD in Economics from the University of Minnesota, Ortalo-Magné gained tenure at the London School of Economics. He came to UW-Madison as a visiting professor in 2001 and was promoted to full professor in 2009.

Ortalo-Magné said there were many factors that led him to UW-Madison.

""The values, people and this great research university were all drivers in my decision to come to Wisconsin,"" Ortalo-Magné said.

Former Wisconsin School of Business Dean Michael Knetter is now the president and chief executive officer of the University of Wisconsin Foundation.

Ortalo-Magné said Knetter was an excellent fundraiser and contributed to forming foundations the business school can further build upon. He said he plans to continue working with Knetter to lead the business school.

Once he officially begins his deanship on September 1, Ortalo-Magné said he intends to strengthen leadership within the business school, continue to learn about how the school functions, and build relationships with other business school deans.

Ortalo-Magné said it is imperative for the business school to respond to worldwide changes in information technologies and higher education, and he looks forward to helping it do so.

""I am excited about the opportunity to lead our school, building on our values and the strength of our specializations, renewing and reinventing how we partner with the world and colleagues around campus,"" Ortalo-Magné said.

As dean, Ortalo-Magné will earn a salary of $410,000.