Former chancellor Biddy Martin reflects on her decision to leave UW

While she insists the failure of the New Badger Partnership did not influence her decision to leave UW-Madison, Chancellor Biddy Martin says the surrounding controversy would have made it difficult for her to continue advocating for the flexibilities she deems necessary to move the university forward.

""I think what we got is a lot to work with now and it will be really interesting to work with,"" Martin said. ""The conflict that emerged as a result of the effort would make it hard for me to push further right now.""

Although Martin said it would be difficult for her to further advocate the flexibilities she sees necessary for UW-Madison, she hopes the future chancellor will continue to do so.

""I hope the next chancellor will continue to push for greater flexibility and autonomy so the state of Wisconsin can count on having one of the world's best research universities and economic engines in its midst,"" Martin said.

Martin said she has no predictions as to who will eventually take over as chancellor.

Interim Chancellor David Ward said the university must create an atmosphere that appeals to the type of leader it wants.

""It's more than a search process; it's praising the university in a way that looks attractive to the very best candidate,"" Ward said. ""And I think we can do that.""

Associated Students of Madison Chair Allie Gardner said UW System President Kevin Reilly will contact all shared governance bodies to create a search-and-screen committee that will nominate five candidates for chancellor. 

The Wisconsin Board of Regents will make the ultimate decision on who gets the job.

Gardner said ASM plans to push to have three students on the committee. In previous years, ASM had two students on the committee.

""We have 42,000 students we're trying to represent here,"" Gardner said. ""You can't do that with just two seats.""

Martin, who will soon assume a post as president of Amherst College in Massachusetts, said the opportunity to serve in a leadership position at an outstanding liberal arts college and her commitment to liberal arts also influenced her decision to accept the position at Amherst. 

""I am thrilled to be assuming the presidency of an institution with Amherst's values and its potential to demonstrate the value of diversity and quality in education,"" Martin said.

Martin said she was first approached about the opportunity at Amherst in March and accepted the offer in May.