Vice chief justice accuses ASM of violating due process, files complaint

Student Judiciary Vice Chief Justice Tim Hogan filed a complaint with the Student Judiciary, claiming the Associated Students of Madison violated his right to due process in his impeachment hearing.

Hogan said that by canceling his impeachment hearing ASM denied him the right to respond to the allegations against him.

ASM Chair Brandon Williams notified Hogan that a petition asking for Hogan's impeachment was filed and signed by one third of the ASM student council. Later, two of the student council members asked to remove their signatures.

Because the two endorsements were withdrawn, there were not enough signatures to proceed with the hearing.

ASM bylaws do not say whether or not a member of ASM is allowed to remove their signature from a petition for impeachment.

The bylaws do state, however, once an ASM officer has a petition for impeachment filed against them that officer has ""the right to be represented by any member of the ASM, to speak, to produce witnesses for the defense, and to cross-examine any witnesses against him or her.""

Williams said ASM was not at fault because it did not contact the press about the potential impeachment.

""The remedy of the case itself does not seem like there is going to be a reasonable solution,"" Williams said.