Recall petitions filed for four more senators

darling: State Sen. Alberta Darling, R-River Hills, is among eight state Senators facing a potential recall.

Recall petitions against three Democratic senators and one more Republican were filed with the Government Accountability Board Thursday, bringing the total count of state senators facing potential recall elections up to eight.

Campaigns against State Sens. Jim Holperin, D-Conover, Dave Hansen, D-Green Bay, Bob Wirch, D-Pleasant Prairie, and Alberta Darling, R-River Hills were able to gather the thousands of signatures needed to potentially force these lawmakers to hold special recall elections, which would occur over the summer.  

When asked about his plan of action in response to the recall being filed, Holperin said he plans to ""vigorously defend"" his record to his constituents.

""I intend to treat this like any other election and campaign hard,"" Holperin said, adding his plans to ""get my message out to the voters of the 12th district about my accomplishments in office and we'll see what happens.""

As senators continue to be recalled, more challengers are stepping up to run against them.

State Rep. Fred Clark, D-Baraboo, announced his intention to run in the upcoming recall election against state Sen. Luther Olsen, R-Ripon.

""I've always respected Sen. Olsen, but I've been very disappointed by his willingness to blindly follow party leaders in Madison, even when it goes against the overwhelming wishes of the people he was elected to represent,"" Clark said in a statement.

If elected, Clark promises ""to get right back to work educating our kids, balancing our budget by making responsible choices, and rebuilding Wisconsin's rural economy.""

Olsen responded to this criticism saying the voters will vote for who they want to represent them.

""If Fred and his friends wish to run a race against me, I welcome the opportunity to prove that my plan of improving the economy by lowering taxes and balancing the state budget is just what Wisconsin needs to get people back to work,"" Olsen said in a statement.