Community discusses logistics of upcoming Mifflin Block Party

mifflin: Residents gathered at the Madison Senior Center Monday to discuss Saturday?s Mifflin Street Block Party with officials such as Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, and event sponsors.

Madison aldermen, neighborhood students and police gathered at the Madison Senior Center Monday to discuss changes and protocol for Saturday's Mifflin Street Block Party.

One change to the party is the addition of two beer stations located on the 400 and 500 blocks of West Mifflin Street. With provided wristbands, attendees over 21 will be able to consume beer in the street.

The change came at the request of the Majestic Theatre, a new Mifflin sponsor. Majestic co-owner Scott Leslie spoke about his company's involvement in the event.

""Our expertise is live music and the only way we could have people watching that music would be to have open containers,"" Leslie said.

Students at the meeting expressed concerns over the gradual commercialization of the block party. Leslie told attendees the Majestic has no intention of changing the spirit of the event by charging admission.

""As long as Majestic is involved there will not be gates and tickets,"" Leslie said.

The Majestic has planned musical entertainment from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. on a stage located in front of the former Planned Parenthood site and will feature live Madison talent and local DJs.

Along with the Majestic, Capitol Neighborhoods Inc. is sponsoring the event.

""We want to move to more of a true block party event,"" Capitol Neighborhoods Coordinator and Mifflin resident Scott Kohler said. ""Our goal is to have this event evolve, get the event to pay for itself and have it become an asset for the city.""

Madison Police Department Sergeant Tony Fiore said the success of the event lies in the hands of UW Students.

""Personal responsibility and cooperativeness will make this event successful,"" Fiore said, ""we have to have mutual cooperation.""

Madison Central District Police Captain Carl Gloede spoke about the party's reputation and his desire to change it.  

""For too long the block party has had a reputation of nothing but a drinking party,"" Gloede said. ""Right now Mifflin is a liability and for it to be successful in the future we need to change that.""