Block party may allow open containers

mifflin: Police will continue to control underage drinkers at this year?s Mifflin Street Block Party.

Block party may allow open containers

Majestic Theatre owners Scott Leslie and Matt Gerding met with the West Mifflin Neighborhood Association Thursday to go over ideas and tentative plans for this year's Mifflin Street Block Party.

The West Mifflin Neighborhood Association is a part of Capitol Neighborhood Inc. Committee member Scott Kolar said CNI previously agreed to co-sponsor the Mifflin Street Block Party after the executive council expressed strong support.

Majestic has proposed a plan to allow those of legal drinking age to obtain special wristbands that would allow them to purchase beer from beer vending stations and drinking within specified areas at this year's block party.

With approval, the block party will be the first since the early 1990's where open containers could be permissible on the streets, Kolar said.

""The important thing is the student body did not have a negative reaction to what we're trying to do,"" Kolar said.

Due to time constraints, Gerding said the Majestic has scaled down plans for the event for this year in comparison to previous plans.

""We're really hoping in 2012 we can really push for everything we want to see Mifflin become,"" Gerding said.

The Madison Street Use Commission still has to formally vote for a street use permit for the block party to take place. A meeting is set to take place this next coming week to finalize maps and scheduling.

Also at the meeting, Adam Mais, owner of the restaurant and bar Logan's Madtown, spoke with committee members about plans to temporarily install two volleyball courts for the summer season. The volleyball courts would be located in Logan's current parking lot reserved for Logan's customers. The parking lot would be brought back after the summer, Mais said.

Committee members also received an update on the recently approved West Mifflin apartments on the 400 block of West Mifflin Street. Developers are set to break ground in June and the complex is expected to open next May, Kolar said.