Wisconsin drops season-ending series against Colorado College

This season has been defined by periods of ups and downs for the Wisconsin men's hockey team. And after falling two games-to-one against Colorado College in the first round of the WCHA playoffs two weekends ago, this roller coaster ride of a season came to a screeching halt thanks to back-to-back late game collapse.

The Badgers knew that after an extended down period to close the season they would have to fight and claw to get back on the up and qualify for the NCAA tournament. With a period left to play in the second game of their playoff series with CC, Wisconsin looked to be in a good position to make the type of run they needed.

But, in the end, two things that have plagued the Badgers all season—penalties and the inability to close out games—came back to haunt them against the Tigers.

After winning game one of the series 3-1, the Badgers held a 3-2 lead over CC with just four minutes left to go and had visions of a series sweep in their minds.

After a mishandled shot by senior goaltender Scott Gudmandson, the Tigers took advantage, tying the score with 3:29 left on the clock to send the game to overtime.

In that overtime period, senior forward Patrick Johnson was called for a tripping penalty, giving CC a power play and the opportunity they needed to complete the comeback. Tiger freshman forward Jaden Schwartz was the hero for the Tigers, redirecting a centering feed past Gudmandson for the game-winner and sending the series to a decisive game three.

Unfortunately, it was more of the same for Wisconsin in game three. The Badgers held a late 1-0 lead thanks to a late second period goal from sophomore forward Craig Smith. But again, penalties spelled doom for Wisconsin. The Tigers tallied two goals in the final ten minutes of the game—both on the power play—to secure another late game comeback win, ending the Badgers' season.

""We just didn't get the job done,"" junior defenseman Jake Gardiner said after the game. ""Penalties always kill us and we took two in the third and they scored on both of them.""

As head coach Mike Eaves reflected on the way this season ended, he found positives that the Badgers can build on as they begin preparation for next season.

""As disappointed as we are, as angry as we are, these young men can walk out of that locker room with their heads held high,"" Eaves said. ""They left everything on the ice for each other.""

""This five game series [against CC] —we played some of our best hockey and that's something we can build on for next year,"" Eaves said.

As Eaves and company begin planning for next year, they must do so knowing Gardiner will not be returning for his senior season. The second team All-WCHA honoree signed an entry-level deal with the Toronto Maple Leafs last Wednesday after posting a career-high 41 points for the Badgers this season.

However, two of Wisconsin's top scorers, Smith and sophomore defenseman Justin Schultz, both indicated they will hold off on pursuing their NHL careers and will return their combined 37 goals and 90 points for the 2011-'12 season to try and help Wisconsin rebound from this season's disappointing finish.

-UWBadgers.com contributed to this report.