Occupy Madison brings national protest to city

occupy: Occupy Madison held its first general assembly meeting in Reynolds Park Friday.

What's In The Fridge: Chicken-sausage fettuccini

My roommates often joke that I present cooking as a sort of fix-all for life's small problems: ""Failing O-chem? Why not cook up a pot of grandma's famous spaghetti?"" Or, ""Sprained ankle? A spicy bowl of coconut curry should do the trick."" And they're most definitely right. As a long-awaited spring break approaches, I must once again take the opportunity to illustrate the ameliorative powers of food.

If you're low on funds like me, you are probably not headed anywhere particularly warm or interesting next week. No balmy nights spent on the beach in Miami, no leisurely swims off the sun-kissed reefs of Nassau, no questionably-sober morning strolls through the bustling streets of Cancun. Just back home to Minnesota, Illinois, or to your parents' house only 10 minutes from campus. Fortunately, a dismal lack of spring break plans does not have to leave you high and dry when it comes to culinary adventure. Accordingly, this week I decided to tour sunny central Italy, or at least my rendition thereof, crafting a fiery chicken-sausage fettuccine. A sauté of fresh herbs, tender pasta and piquant pepper, this savory dish promises to transport you across the amber fields of Tuscany. Pair it with a flavorful Chianti, and you just might forget that you are stuck at home; provided you don't look out the frost-coated kitchen window, of course. Buon appetito!

Chicken-sausage fettuccine

1 lb. fettuccine

1 lb. spicy chicken sausage (Trader Joe's) or Italian sausage

6 tbsp butter

Juice of 1/2 lemon

1/2 cup freshly chopped basil

1 1/2 head garlic, minced

1 tsp red pepper flakes

Grated Parmesan cheese (for topping)

Begin by cooking the fettuccine for 7-8 minutes, or until al dente. In the meantime, slice the sausages into rounds and brown in a non-stick pan. In a separate large sauté pan, melt the butter over medium heat and lightly cook the garlic. Add in the drained pasta, lemon juice, and sausage and toss together. Lastly, fold in the freshly chopped basil and red pepper and plate up with a sprinkle of shaved Parmesan cheese. Serve alongside a few slices of crusty sourdough and enjoy!