Man stabbed to death at Park Street gas station

Police are investigating the apparent homicide of a 23-year-old man they believe occurred Sunday morning on South Park Street.

Officers were originally sent to Meriter Hospital, where a vehicle dropped off a man who was bleeding from a stab wound, Madison Police Department South District Captain Joe Balles said.

""The male died a short time later in the emergency room while being treated for his injuries,"" Balles said in a statement.

Police said they believe the victim's injuries were sustained in a large fight involving several people outside the BP Amoco Station at 318 S. Park St. around 2 a.m. Sunday.

It appears no one involved in the disturbance lived in the immediate area, Balles said.

Authorities said there are no suspects in custody at this time but they are still investigating the incident.

Police said they want to speak with anyone who may have been in the area of the station at the time of the disturbance. Anyone with information can report tips anonymously to Crimestoppers at 266-6014, Balles said.